Prior to his retirement, Judge Elijah L. Miller, Jr. served as a Superior Court Judge for over 15 years. During his tenure, as Bergen vicinage's Civil Presiding Judge, he was primarily engaged in fostering settlements of cases prior to trial, coordinating trials prior thereto and thereafter. During his judicial career, he served on the statewide Conferences of Civil Presiding Judges, the Supreme Court Civil Practice Committee, the Supreme Court's Blue Ribbon Special Committee on electronic filing, which culminated with a lengthy report to Chief Justice Rabner, on June 15, 2009. He also served on the subsequent Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Electronic Filing Implementation, July 22, 2010 to December 2010.
Judge Miller has sat in three Divisions of the Superior Court, inclusive of the Criminal Division, Family Division and the last nine (9) years in the Civil Division, with three (3) of those years as the Presiding Judge of the Civil Division for the Bergen Vicinage.
As a Civil Judge, Judge Miller has conducted hundreds of jury and non-jury trials, as well as managed thousands of cases, involving motions, hearings, settlements and sundry other matters. Judge Miller has presided over personal injury, construction, contract dispute, consumer fraud, corporate disputes, employment discrimination, land use, professional malpractice, wrongful termination, complex case management, insurance law, etc. He has presided over the full gamut of civil litigation.
Areas Of Practice
- Mediation 80%
- Arbitration 10%
- Case Management Supervisor 5%
- Special Discovery Master
- New Jersey, 1971
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1971
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1977
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law - Camden, Camden, New Jersey
- J.D. - 1971
- Rutgers College, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1968
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Euro-Russian History, Minor Science
- State vs. John List, Criminal
- Trial Tactics Lecturer, Office of Public Defender, 1987 to 1993
- Lecturer of Judges Criminal, Family & Civil Law, A.O.C., 1996 to 2011
- Bergen County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Shanley & Fisher, Esqs.
- Office of the Public Defender, Ass't Deputy, LT Deputy Public, 1972 to 1993