Representing You In New Jersey Municipal Courts
Many of the small communities in the New Jersey area have their own municipal court system where they will take care of such court issues as traffic tickets and misdemeanor charges. While misdemeanor charges may seem to be minor in most cases, convictions for misdemeanors will remain on your record. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the charges, the consequences and the possible repercussions and help you obtain the best possible outcome for your case.
A misdemeanor charge is a nonindictable offense that is less serious than a felony, but could result in probation, fines and even jail time. While municipal courts hear a variety of misdemeanor cases, the most common include:
- Reckless driving — Reckless driving is a major moving violation that can result in fines, jail time, probation and possible suspension or revocation of your license.
- Drug possession — Possession of a small amount of illegal drugs typically will result in a misdemeanor drug offense, which often results in probation, rehabilitation or a short jail sentence.
- Shoplifting — Shoplifting is theft from a store or business and is sometimes referred to as retail theft.
- Assault — Assault is the intent to harm or threat of initiating harm to another.
- Disorderly conduct — A disorderly conduct charge is a misdemeanor usually related to public drunkenness, loitering or disturbing the peace.
- Alcohol-related offenses — Minor offenses related to alcohol intoxication such as public intoxication, minor in possession and contributing to the delinquency of a minor are often misdemeanor charges that range in a variety of types of sentences.
Contact An Experienced Municipal Court Attorney
Even a speeding ticket or traffic violation can result in points on your driver’s license, which can lead to a significant rise in insurance rates and even the risk of losing or restricting your license after repeated offenses. So if you live in the New York or New Jersey area and are facing misdemeanor charges, whether it is a traffic violation or a crime that carries the risk of jail, it is important to retain legal counsel to ensure that your rights are protected and you can achieve the best possible outcome in court.
Contact the lawyers at Foster & Mazzie LLC today to schedule your consultation and discuss the details of your case.